Oh, my aching sushi!!!

All right, so summer's over and there are fewer pretty girls in tank tops. But still, if you think about it, we're still better. We are utterly beautiful, talented, intelligent, and amazing girls who don't need to show off skin to feel worthy. Too bad we're too good for you.

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

OUTSTANDING!!

I am back from my temporary blog hiatus. I'm sure you all missed me. ;-P If you don't feel like scrolling all the way down to read my last post, I will tell you where I was: HOBY, aka Hugh O'Brian Youth Leadership, a four-day leadership seminar for incoming high school juniors from around the state (and a few from Illinois.) Arrival time was between 8-10 in the morning on Thursday, and the closing ceremony was over around 3:00 on Sunday afternoon. However, the days were so jam-packed that it felt a LOT longer. We had about five hours of free time the entire weekend. The rest of the time was filled with panels, motivational speakers, small group discussions, leadership activities, and more casual activities like a talent show and dance.

HOBY was one of those things that you don't really understand unless you were there, and it's hard to explain to an outsider. I met a lot of really cool people and made several new friends. I stepped out of my comfort zone and got inspired. I learned new things about myself and other people. We all started out awkward around each other, and by the end we were talking to each other freely and screaming silly cheers. I heard so many interesting things that weekend, I can't even begin to remember them all. HOBY was truly incredible and I believe that it changed my life, even in subtle ways. I miss the environment but I hope that I can bring the same feeling to other places and people.

Well, I'm blabbering, but like I said, it's just impossible to understand if you weren't there. Lucky for me, I *was* there, and I will always be thankful for that opportunity.

(In case you're wondering about the title, we said "OUTSTANDING" and gave thumbs-up signs all the time. After every panel, every speaker, "Hey HOBY, what do we think of so-and-so?" "OUTSTANDING!") :o)



"Get up off your knees! You're too young for that..."

1 Comments:

  • At 10:17 PM, Blogger chopstick_gurl said…

    I understand. I've been to so many of those. District Convention in April was like that, except for a few minor changes (like me speaking in front of about 40-50 people from around the state at midnight, traveling around to caucuses, rooting on Janice, etc.). I only had about 3-4 hours of sleep a night. (Roommates. Don't ask.) I only had an accumulated total of 2-ish hours of free time. It was a rigorous 7 a.m.-1 a.m. program, but I loved it anyway. Next year'll be fun - we have to set it up, and I could possibly be speaking in front of all 500-ish attendees there. :) I'm looking forward to it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home